Monday 28 May 2012

Home Grown Goodness

With the return of the sunny weather we have been spending a lot of time in the garden.  It is our dream to, one day, become self sufficient in the veg department - I think we are getting close, maybe this time next year?

Last year we fought a loosing battle with aphids and this year it looks like the ants will be our biggest enemy.  I am very much torn between being organic as far as possible and sustainability.  So far we have:
 
4 varieties of potatoes
Broad beans
Runner beans
French beans
Peas
Onions (red and white)
Sprouting broccoli
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Kale
Lettuce
Turnips
Carrots
Garlic
Radish
Herbs
Aubergine
Courgette
Cucumber
Variety of salad leaves
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Raspberries
Redcurrants
Blueberries

Quite an impressive list when all written down I think.  Last year we tried sweetcorn but it was a massive failure - a little more reading up required me thinks!  We also have an asparagus bed on the go but will be another year before we can enjoy any.

I must say the hosepipe ban is rather annoying and I find myself really appreciating the rain!

1 comment:

  1. You have a lovely long list of veg there! And some yummy fruits! Hope you beat the ants I have them in the house at the min which is very annoying! Have you tried a big empty carton of milk with holes in the lid as a make shift watering can? A bit of fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments, please take a moment to say hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...