Tuesday 17 April 2012

How Much???

Today was the first day back at school after the Easter Break and D1 went back wearing her new school summer dress.

You may remember my previous post about my fantastic new toy (the sewing machine)... Well, I came across a vintage pattern for school uniform in a local charity shop for 50p, and then couldn't believe my luck when one of the fabric shops in town reduced all it's fabrics to £1/mtr.  I am a total novice when it comes to sewing but I am really enjoying it so thought I would give it a go...  

I had never followed a pattern before so just dived straight in and made it up as i went along.  I used greaseproof paper to trace the pattern, forgot to note all of the markings and cut off the notches!  I spent a lot of time on you tube watching "how to" videos and asked various friends and family members what to do with edges and hems.

Here's the result:

It won me the biggest kiss and cuddle, I can't believe how pleased she was with it.  It only took me 9 hours, Plus another 2 hours to get the hem right.

So, by my Maths:
50p for the pattern
£1 for the fabric 
11 hours at minimum wage
=
£68.38

Maybe dress number two will work out in the £30 price range?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read all your comments, please take a moment to say hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...