Friday 11 November 2011

It's NOT a Pussy Cat

Now I don't know about any of you but I can't stand expressions such as "Pussy Cat" "Bunny Rabbit" or "Choo Choo train".  I mean for Pete's sake it's NOT a pussy cat it's just a CAT!  I can't express how much it winds me up.  It's not a "doggy" it's a DOG!  You get the idea.



Why do we teach our children to say these things when later on we tell them it's babyish and to say it properly?  I have ranted about this on more than one occasion to friends.  One kind friend pointed out that although I don't allow such words to be used, I do use phases such as "Oooh it's chilly-willy-woo-wah today".  I think she has a point.  Perhaps I should relax a little and not allow my blood to boil when old ladies stop and ask if we'd like to stroke the doggy.  I just can't help it and I want to correct them but the polite side of me stays quiet and I seethe in silence.

A work colleague once told me, after one of my rants, that to use such words was actually beneficial to the speech development of younger children.  She may have a point but I wasn't swayed.

Now I know I'm being silly, really I do.  What really silly things bug you?

5 comments:

  1. I don't have a problem with pussy cat or doggy because they are close to the proper words. I have a problem when my mum calls it a bow-wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha, laughing at bow wow! It bugs me when my mum calls my daughters beautiful taggy blanket a 'rag' :-) To be fair it is a bit bedraggled now. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Grandma still sings a song about a bow-wow.  I've got it in my head now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it silly how the little things bug us so much.  I am sure it is FAR from a rag to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and thanks for linking to Friday funny! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments, please take a moment to say hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...