Wednesday 23 November 2011

Homemade Toys - Personalised Story Book

Last week I made a special book for D2. We called it "(insert D2's Real name here) Busy Day" I thought I'd share with you what we did.

We took the camera out with us for the day and captured the things we do on a daily basis. I chose a Wednesday as it is D2's favourite day - we go to "Booby Club", the local breastfeeding support group. I tried to mainly include things that happen EVERY day, breakfast time and getting dressed for example, with only a couple of pics that represent what happens on a Wednesday.

Once I looked at all the pictures we had taken throughout the day I soon realised there were going to be far too many things to hold her attention so I managed to get it down to 11 pictures.

Finding the right photo album for little hands was one of the biggest challenges. I wanted the book to be D2's, not something that only Mummy gets to touch. I found this one from boots, it has got a tightly bound spine, is just the right length, reasonably priced and I think it will last more than 5 minutes! The Pattern isn't one I would have necessarily gone for but beggars can't be choosers - If anyone finds a better one please let me know.

One final tip. Take all your pictures in the same orientation (All landscape or whatever is dictated by your chosen album). I leant the hard way and so a couple of the best shots didn't make it into the book.

If you liked this idea then you might want to take a look at my post on home made picture discs.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so coming to you for mummy tips when I eventually join the realm of motherhood!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Not only will it help reading skills, but being personalised will mean she's more likely to want to read it. You never know, when her baby brother arrives, she might want to share with him too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did this for DS1 when he was about 2 and a half, (he's now nearly 7), we haven't gotten round to doing it for DS2 (4) yet... this is a timely reminder.  The book is treasured.  We laminated individual A4 sheet and strung them together so we could put landscape and portrait in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, anything that encourages children to read is a winner.  I remember sending off for a story book for my eldest son which personalised all the characters so he knew them all.  He loved it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all your comments, please take a moment to say hi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...